Re: weird fam/samba problem

On Friday 03 February 2006 01:36, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[...]

>> [root@coyote etc]# service nfs restart
>> Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [FAILED]
>> Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [FAILED]
>> Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [FAILED]
>> Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS4 idmapd: Error: RPC MTAB does not exist.
>
>Well, I've no clue :(. But I can suggest that you might want to do
> away with quotas and I've no clue what the idmapd does. Can you get a
> regular old /etc/exports file to work with nfs-kernel-server?

Here is the exports file:
/usr     192.168.xx.xx/255.255.255.0(rw,insecure,sync,no_root_squash)
/home/   192.168.xx.xx/255.255.255.0(rw,insecure,sync,no_root_squash)

Slightly obfuscated of course.  And whats this 'nfs-kernel-server'?
Thats all built into the kernel IIRC, currently 2.6.16-rc1.  From a
grep of the .config:
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_V4 is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO is not set
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD_V4 is not set
CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y
CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y

I suppose I could turn the rest of it on when I build -rc2 which should
be shortly released.

>> And it will repeat that manta ad infinitum.
>>
>> [root@coyote etc]# service nfs restart
>> Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [  OK  ]
>> Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
>> Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
>> Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
>> Starting NFS4 idmapd: Error: RPC MTAB does not exist.
>>
>> A man idmapd make no mention of that file...

The second time it was of course already running so it didn't fail the
shutdown.  I don't have it started in my normal bootup, no use wasting
cpu cycles on something that doesn't work. :)

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: