Re: use stable/unstable source at the same time

On 03/02/06, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > could I use stable and unstable sources list at the same time as this in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list?
> >
> > deb ftp://ftp.linuxforum.net/debian/ stable main
> > deb ftp://ftp.linuxforum.net/debian/ unstable main
>
> Yes.  I think you should include testing as well.  Then you need to
> put *one* of the following lines in /etc/apt/apt.conf
>
> APT::Default-Release "stable";
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
> APT::Default-Release "unstable";

My understanding was that if you have more than two repositories then
it is better to use pinning, using /etc/apt/preferences, so you can
set different priorities for each of the non-default releases.

The exact configuration then depends on which of the three
repositories you want to prioritise - i.e. do you want to track stable
but having testing/unstable packages available, or do you want to
track testing or unstable.