Re: use stable/unstable source at the same time

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:11:53AM +0000, John Halton wrote:
>On 03/02/06, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > could I use stable and unstable sources list at the same time as this in
>> > /etc/apt/sources.list?
>> >
>> > deb ftp://ftp.linuxforum.net/debian/ stable main
>> > deb ftp://ftp.linuxforum.net/debian/ unstable main
>>
>> Yes.  I think you should include testing as well.  Then you need to
>> put *one* of the following lines in /etc/apt/apt.conf
>>
>> APT::Default-Release "stable";
>> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>> APT::Default-Release "unstable";
>>

>My understanding was that if you have more than two repositories then
>it is better to use pinning, using /etc/apt/preferences, so you can set
>different priorities for each of the non-default releases.

AFAIK setting APT::Default-Release is an easier way than pinning.
Personally I avoid pinning as far as possible...

>The exact configuration then depends on which of the three repositories
>you want to prioritise - i.e. do you want to track stable but having
>testing/unstable packages available, or do you want to track testing or
>unstable.

The APT::Default-Release does that too. E.g. I have testing, unstable
and experimental in my APT source.list. With "APT::Default-Release
"unstable";" I get the following

 % apt-cache policy alsa-utils
 alsa-utils:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 1.0.10-1
   Version table:
      1.0.10+1.0.11rc2-1 0
           1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org experimental/main Packages
      1.0.10-1 0
         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org testing/main Packages
         990 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages

So "apt-get install alsa-utils" will install the package from unstable,
while experimental and testing is available. I need pinning to keep a
package in testing from being upgraded to unstable though.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
     -- Albert Einstein