Re: weird fam/samba problem

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:23:51 -0500
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 02 February 2006 13:14, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:57:43 -0500
> >
> >Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> And no one has any comments to make on this?
> >
> >not a clue. why samba and not nfs?
>
> Because I have yet, despite quite a bit of expert handholding, ever been
> able to make NFS work for anything here.  No permissions returns is all
> I can get.  Also, even though the NSF starter is being run by the
> bootup, it always logs the message that NFS4-MTAB doesn't exist.  On
> the bootup screen but nowhere else in the logs.  And questions asked
> about that on the net have now been uniformly ignored on the major
> lists I haunt for about 4 years now. :(

well, that's wierd. I've only used nfs for a few months now (slowly trying to convert my house to 'doze free) and had no difficulty from day one. I've certainly never seen that message before and I have one machine that boots a couple times a day (mythtv with automatic booting weeee!). Which side does this show on? server or client? personally, I like nfs as it "just works" for me here. of course, this is all internal to my house ona trusted lan with no protections blah blah blah.

> >FWIW, I killed fam, and
> >
> >> things seem to be working more or less normally here. Killing fam
> >> allowed me to umount those shares.  This is required because I have
> >> a script (cron) that remounts some shares daily else they get stale
> >> or something and quit working, or did back when I set that script up
> >> 5 years ago because it would quit working at odd times.
> >
> >is this a bug with fam? I've had some trouble umounting nfs shares on
> > occaision for no apparent reason, though umount -l does the trick.
>
> But what happens then if the share is to be immediatelty remounted, like
> my little daily insurance cron script does.?

don't know, but if its fam that is causing it to be busy, I don't think its a big deal. but I know less than nothing about fam and how it works.