Re: How much hassle to upgrade from 2.4.27 to 2.6.*?

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:26 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> I've got a Debian testing/unstable system running a 2.4.27-2-386 or
> 2.4.27-2-386 kernel, booted from LILO, and I'm thinking of upgrading
> to 2.6.something.  I had originally planned to wait until I had a new
> computer but I haven't got around to picking one out yet.
>
> If I just use aptitude to install a 2.6 kernel, how much trouble will
> it be to get it running?  I assume I'll need to edit lilo.conf to add
> a suitable entry without the "hdd=ide-scsi" option (then I'll be able
> to install and use pmount and to use cdrecord directly with the ATAPI
> cd-writer).  But there are any other complications?  Or is it really
> that simple?

I did the same thing about a year ago.  In my experience, everything
went very smooth.  Of course I didn't have any type of cd-writer on the
machine, but what you said sounds accurate.  The only "issue" was that
hotplug now found my wireless card and insmod'ed the orinoco module for
it.  But I was using hostap, so I had to blacklist my orinoco driver, so
it wouldn't do it.

Casey