How much hassle to upgrade from 2.4.27 to 2.6.*?

I've got a Debian testing/unstable system running a 2.4.27-2-386 or
2.4.27-2-386 kernel, booted from LILO, and I'm thinking of upgrading
to 2.6.something.  I had originally planned to wait until I had a new
computer but I haven't got around to picking one out yet.

If I just use aptitude to install a 2.6 kernel, how much trouble will
it be to get it running?  I assume I'll need to edit lilo.conf to add
a suitable entry without the "hdd=ide-scsi" option (then I'll be able
to install and use pmount and to use cdrecord directly with the ATAPI
cd-writer).  But there are any other complications?  Or is it really
that simple?

I'd like to know before I start that it won't take up much of this
weekend!

--
Thanks,
Adam