Re: k3b is not able to detect dvd+rw-tools package

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 21:23, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Hi
>    Using Debian unstable, latest k3b. When I run
>
> $sudo k3b
>
> I get a popup error saying
>
> Unable to find growisofs executable
> K3b uses growisofs to actually write dvds. Without growisofs you won't
> be able to write dvds. Make sure to install at least version 5.10.
> Solution: Install the dvd+rw-tools package.
>
> But dvd+rw-tools package is already installed on this machine. What
> should I do to get rid of this error? I do want to burn DVDs.

Have you tried it as a non-root user?

> $sudo dpkg -l k3b dvd+rw-tools
>
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
>
> uppercase=bad)
>
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
>
> +++-==============-==============-=======================================
>===== ii  dvd+rw-tools   6.0-1          DVD+-RW/R tools
> ii  k3b            0.12.10-2      A sophisticated KDE CD burning
> application

I have exactly the same versions installed, and they are working properly.
Incidentally, why are you using sudo to do dpkg -l?

> $dmesg | grep -i dvd
> hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6112, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
>

> thanks
> raju

I tried running k3b as root, using kdesu, and it worked fine for me.  If
running k3b as a normal user doesn't work, check the programs module,
Search Path tab in the setup page, and make sure the paths
include /usr/bin/.

If all else fails, I'd suggest re-installing both packages.

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin