Re: different resolution on notebook LCD and VGA

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:04:49PM +1100, Tim Connors wrote:

> The 5 year old Inspiron 4000 with a r128 can do dualhead under
> windows.  I beleive the displays (internal and external) can talk
> differnt resolutions too.  Doesn't work with xinerama under X.
>
> But then again, I never even got xinerama working on my desktop with a
> second PCI videocard.
>
> Most newer laptops can do it under windows.  Although at almost every
> talk, someone finds out that accelaration doesn't work on the second
> display, even when the external display is simply mirroring the LCD.
> So someone goes to play a movie, and is stunned into silence when they
> discover that the movie that is playing beautifully on the LCD is not
> being displayed at all on the projector :) When I tell them to flick
> the LCD/external button a few times until the internal display is off,
> it works.

Cool - obviously there are notebooks out there that are more
capable than mine...

In that case, I would say that if you can do what you want under
Windows, then it is just a software issue and it does make sense
to ask the question. I know my notebook can't do it, but it
would be nice to have it supported if it could.

The sticking point in such cases is usually the availability of
documentation from the hardware manufacturer. If they considder
the interface to be proprietory, then it becomes much more
difficult for a Linux driver to take advantage of the more
exotic features...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com