RE: empty /boot directory

Eddy Haaksma wrote:
>> This morning I rebooted my Debian-server.
>>
>> After a while Grub responded during te boot-process with: Error 15
>> file not found.
>>
>> To my surprise the whole boot directory appears to be empty, except
>> for the /boot/grub directory.
>>
>> The server is a HP Proliant 360 with a smartarray controller.
>>
>> What I probably need to do is to reinstall a kernel image.
>>
>> I can boot with a Debian-installer CD, but I don't know how to
>> manually mount what was /dev/cciss/c0d0p1.
>>
>> After running the hardware detection I do have a
/dev/cciss/disc0/par1

>Have you recently upgraded your kernel?
>
>I'm no expert for your particular raid array (am I correct, that your
/boot is part of a raid system?). Maybe I had a similar problem on our
Mylex Raid: >partitions had a different 'name' on booting with a 2.4
kernel than with version 2.6. First thing, I would make sure to use the
same kernel on booting than the one that had a running raid array.

>(boot: linux for 2.4 and boot: linux26 for 2.6)
>
>Then at least the /dev/cciss... should be as before
>
>Johannes

He, thanks for your answer.

By booting a different kernel I'm able to mount the partitions so I can
copy some for files.
Funny thing is, that I used a different kernel then the one installed.

You're right about the raid system.

I can boot from a Debian-install CD and mount the disks. I can copy
files to and from the disks, eg. Kernel-image-xxxx.deb. But I don't know
how I can install a kernel image.

Do you perhaps know how I can reinstall a kernel image?

Eddy