Re: Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

--- Star King of the Grape Trees
<thestar@fussycoder.id.au> wrote:

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

I'm running 2.6.15-1-686 with testing/some
experimental <snip>
Ok, there's your problem.  experimental is...  well,
experimental.

Mixed systems are also extremely discouraged, and
those who run a mixed system generally already know how to deal with
whatever issues they find.

Hello Star...,
OOOOk, I forget just exactly what sid programs I have;
some media player file that wouldn't work under
testing. If I uninstall it, will the problem go away? BTW, I have ran mixed distros
before and never had anything like this happen but it
was always with a 2.6.8 kernel or less.
I'm no expert, using linux-debian for less than 2 yrs.
I've always could install a debian version in any
distro unless there was a dependency issue that had to
be fixed first.  In this case my efforts failed as
shown in the output from my attempts.  Could use some
specific suggestions.  Thanks.

Are you running a testing/experimental or a testing/sid (ie, etch/sid) system?

Also, the fact that it worked 2 years ago means nothing - the issue is wether they are compatible and they are not.

I have performed a sid->sarge downgrade, and consequently it is a mixed system, however the sid installation at the time was _before_ the gcc4 transition, and that alone made it much easier.

I have had numerous problems with mixed systems, in a nutshell, a manual repair is often neccessary - from fixing pam issues by hand to many other fixes, we cannot just give you some "specific suggestions" due to the nature of the problem.