Re: Branded Servers that support Debian GNU/Linux

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:40:17 +0100, Rishi wrote:

> On 1/30/06, david robert <davidforlinux@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> i would suggest go for dell i am running 15 debian servers with dell
>> hardware simply fantastic reliability and nicely running
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the tip. Any specific models that you could recommend? I
> called them and asked for a quote already.
>
> Rishi

I have a bit of experience with a few different models using Sarge and
Etch.  I've deployed Etch/Testing on HP DL 140's and DL 380s and only had
a single issue on the DL 140 line.  On that particular line, you have to
do an expert install and not insert the sata module right away or it masks
the cdrom drive.  On the DL 380s it was smooth sailing with the HP RAID
controller with a RAID 5 setup.  Neither of the systems were showstoppers
and it took me about 15 minutes to find the problem with the SATA drive on
the web.  If you want to go with the so-called non-branded servers, I have
had very good luck with any number of supermicro motherboard 1 and 2u
setups and even have had smaller OEMs install debian for me on them to
concretely demonstrate that Debian was supported on the hardware.  As an
example with one smaller OEM/hardware dealer here in SF, I deployed over
200 debian 1u and up to 50 2u rack mount servers running debian Sarge with
no problems.  I received the systems with Debian already running on them
and completely functional.

I've also deployed a variety of Dell servers and have had no issues there
at all.  Last real issue I had was several years ago with Proliant Servers
and a certain RAID card that caused us grief.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org