Re: Branded Servers that support Debian GNU/Linux

Rishi wrote:
> Already did that and they said that Debian isn't certified, however,
> it may work.

Sure they say that.

> That's why I thought I'd try the Debian User Community and check if
> there are servers that support Debian Sarge for at least (a) disk
> controllers and (b) network card.

That's what you have to ask the vendor. Do not ask for support or if Debian
works but ask for detailed hardware specs: means, telling you the model of
the 'chips' (not vendor hardware names) used and not just some marketing bla
bla.

After that, see if 2.4.27 or 2.6.8 support this. If not, you may have to
create your own installation media with a newer kernel or install another way
(using knoppix and debootstrap or preparing the hard drive in another
computer).

> high resolution is something that would be nice, but I can do with
> 800x600 if I have no choice.

Huh? There is absolutely not graphics card out there that limits you to
800x600. Additionally, backports.org features X.org-6.9. And you can always
switch to a different card.

If you do not use rare RAID-stuff, it should be absolutely no problem to get
that thing running.

HS

        oder über pgp.net