Re: Can't sync with Evolution

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:56:25PM -0800, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> Hi all, new Debian user here having migrated from Mandriva 2006 to
> Ubuntu to Debian and am trying to settle in to this apparently wonderful
> distro, where dependencies are minimal, and Linux is as Linux should be.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> I am trying out Evolution for the first time after being a Kmail/KPilot
> user for along time and I am trying to sync my Zire 31 to it. I have
> Gnome Pilot running, but it can't seem to see my Zire.
>
> I can see the kernel messages saying hotplug and the USB subsection see
> it, and are creating ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1, but are one of these symlinked
> to /dev/pilot? Or do I need to create it?

I use jpilot, not Evolution, but I have this in /etc/udev/udev.rules:

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="ttyUSB[13579]", SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*", \
					SYMLINK+="pilot"

Every USB Palm device creates two ttyUSB devices; some Palms sync on the
first device, the Zire 31 uses the second one.  The other tty is
supposedly used for debugging, but I'm not sure how. If you had another
usb-serial device such as a USB-RS232 adapter, I don't know whether the
even/odd numbering of the Palm devices would change, requiring a
different method to create the /dev/pilot link.

--
I brought my BOWLING BALL -- and some DRUGS!!