Can't sync with Evolution

Hi all, new Debian user here having migrated from Mandriva 2006 to
Ubuntu to Debian and am trying to settle in to this apparently wonderful
distro, where dependencies are minimal, and Linux is as Linux should be.

Here's my question:

I am trying out Evolution for the first time after being a Kmail/KPilot
user for along time and I am trying to sync my Zire 31 to it. I have
Gnome Pilot running, but it can't seem to see my Zire.

I can see the kernel messages saying hotplug and the USB subsection see
it, and are creating ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1, but are one of these symlinked
to /dev/pilot? Or do I need to create it?

Rob

Mountlake Terrace, WA