Re: Automating Dial-up

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:17:21 -0800
"Tyson Varosyan" <tigran@tigran.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I posted on this before, but something is not working out for me. Please
> help.
>
> What I am trying to do: I would like my box to dial-up on it's own when it
> is turned on without my having to log in.
>
> What I have done:
>
> nano -w /etc/init.d/startwvdial
>
> into the file I type in:
>
> wvdial verizon
> # (This command works for me when I am logged in to dial up using my verizon
> connection.)
>
> update-rc.d startwvdial defaults
>
> This is what happens on bootup:
>
> /etc/init.d/rc: line 30: /etc/rc2.d/S20startwvdial: Permission Denied
>
> I am VERY new to Linux, so please make the instructions as detailed as
> possible. I am not opposed to using pppd ether, if that makes things easier.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tyson Varosyan
> Technical Manager, Uptime Technical Solutions LLC.
> tyson@up-times.com
> www.up-times.com
> 206-715-TECH (8324)
>
> UpTime/OnTime/AnyTime
>

> --

I think to you need to make your 'script' executable (guru's correct me if I'm wrong)

From a root console (indented for visibility and # for the root console):

	#chown root /etc/init.d/startwvdial

Probably not needed, but won't hurt, and then:

	#chmod 755 /etc/init.d/startwvdial

'man chmod' and 'man chown' if you need further information about what you're doing.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)