Re: 100dpi vs. 75dpi fonts in X

Curt Howland wrote Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:14:25 -0600 (CST):

> Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:

> > Sounds like the two drivers run X at different DPI. Kinfocenter will
> > tell you the DPI X thinks it's using (formatted xdpyinfo output).

> Indeed yes. The included "nv" driver uses 75 dpi, the non-free
> "nvidia" driver uses 111 dpi.

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
> (==) NV(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

> /var/log/Xorg.o.log.old:
> (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (111, 111); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X
> config option

> I found where dpi is defined, thanks for the Mozilla link:

> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

> So it looks like neither of them is actually paying attention to the
> configuration. A google search for "UseEdidDpi" ends up with
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8174/README/32bit_html/appendix-y.html

> and from there, putting

> Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"

> in the display section along side the driver. This caused X to default
> back to 75x75 dpi, which is fine, but I still wonder why the
> definition in Xservers is being ignored. Hmmm...

-dpi 100 in Xservers is purely arbitrary, intended for the old xfs
system, not for moderm fontconfig apps. You may find elsewhere if you
look around with grep in /etc, e.g. in kdmrc, another instance(s) of an
arbitrary -dpi.

I don't have hardware that supports UseEdidDpi, and so can't test
myself, but I suggest unless you can find out that it's buggy that you
allow it to do its job, and adjust elsewhere to get the sizes you
prefer. If your desktop is set to 10pt, the size really should be 10pt,
and not some artificially shrunken size purporting to be 10pt. If you
don't like 10pt, choose something else in your font size chooser. If
UseEdidDpi on your system is broken, I suggest you try DisplaySize or
Xft.dpi rather than -dpi to force to your preference, or if you're using
Gnome, use its control center. If you are using Gnome, start by checking
in its control center to see if that's where the 75 is coming from when
you disable UseEdidDpi.

The log says 111x111. Is that correct, or nearly so? To see whether 111
or 75 is more nearly correct, look at
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi.html . For web browsers, it's better
to err on the high side if possible, but the idea is for an inch wide
image on http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi-screen-window.html to display
at least an inch wide. Only after DPI is reasonably set should font size
adjustments elsewhere be made. It isn't just fonts that depend on a
proper DPI setting.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/