Re: [OT] debianhelp.co.uk steals my words?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:39:07 -0700
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > >words in it and found the post in the Debian mailing list archives,
> > >which is normal.
> > >
> > >I also found a tiny piece of it at this site:
> > >
> > >http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commonproblems1.htm
> > >
> > >Search for
> > >
> > >it was creating two connections: PPP0 (the right
> > >
> > >to find some of the post.
> > >
> > >I would normally have no problem with this EXCEPT:
> > >
> > >1: It makes no mention of my name. Sorry to say but what ever I write
> > >is mine and I expect to be credited (I am a would-be amateur-author).
> > >
> > >2: The page has exactly one and a half sentences of my post (plus what
> > >they call the "answer"). Indeed, it cuts off that half sentence at a
> > >comma (comma splice any one?) and is subsequently out of context
> > >(unless you call the sentence and a half context).
> > >
> > >3: This was done not only with out my consent but indeed with out my
> > >knowledge.
> > >
> > >I'm writing this because I wish to know the thoughts of other Debian
> > >Users and because I wish to know if any one else is familiar with this
> > >site or has also been put upon it (possibly with out their knowledge.)
> > >I shall also try to send a copy of this E-Mail to the author of the
> > >site. Maybe I'm taking this too far, but I feel rather strongly about
> > >plagiarism and the like. Lastly, I wish to apologies to those among
> > >you feel that this is not the right forum in which to bring up such a
> > >case; I have put an off topic sing before the subject heading in the
> > >hopes of warding off any anger.
> > >
> > >I thank you for your time and am eager to hear your thoughts.
> > >
> > >--
> > >???A watched bread-crumb never boils.
> > >???My hover-craft is full of eels.
> > >???[...]and that's the he and the she of it.
> >
> > The "honorable" thing for them to do would, of course, be to at least
>                             ^^^^
> > ask.  The world being what it is you're lucky they didn't steal your
> > identity :-)   A noted game author (in the early Macromedia Director
> > Lingo days) found his games on other sites, some not even copying them
> > but patching into his site.  The cost of prosecuting was so high his
> > only recourse was theft detection crash code that was a lot of extra work.
> >

> I've looked at the site. It appears to me that, in this case, the infamous
> 'they' is one individual. He appears to be abstracting from the debian-user
> archive questions and answers that he deems valuable. Without having bothered
> to check, I speculate that *all* the words are copied from debian-user and
> none of the original authors have been credited. This is impolite, but far
> less of an offence than some of the flame wars that I've seen on the web.
>
> I suggest that OP use the web interface to send debianhelp maintainer
> a comment on his lack of attribution for *all* his content. Maybe he
> is so clueless that he is unaware of how his actions annoy many
> people. The site maintainer reads debian-user. (That's how he gets his
> material.) Maybe he will read this thread.

IMO, at a minimum, he should say: THe contents of this site were harvested from the archives of the debian-user mailing list which can be found at....  Thanks to all those hard-working users who make that list such a useful resource " etc etc etc. Obviously it would be a massive amount of work for him to attribute everyone specifically, and if he is actually doing a good job of filtering the material into something useful, then he is doing us all a service. Finally, I imagine, that by having all this info so obviously publicly available, its probably, for all practical purposes, public domain. Not to say he should not attribute, but that we should not be so upset about it. How much of the information we provide is actually straight from TFM? even if we don't quote it exactly, odds are we read it and interpreted it before regurgitating it. So it goes eh?

information wants to be free?