Re: [OT] debianhelp.co.uk steals my words?

David R. Litwin wrote:
In a bid to help a fellow Debian user, I wanted to link to a thread I had been involved in (concerning internet connexions). I googled some words in it and found the post in the Debian mailing list archives, which is normal.

I also found a tiny piece of it at this site:

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commonproblems1.htm

Search for

it was creating two connections: PPP0 (the right

to find some of the post.

I would normally have no problem with this EXCEPT:

1: It makes no mention of my name. Sorry to say but what ever I write is mine and I expect to be credited (I am a would-be amateur-author).

2: The page has exactly one and a half sentences of my post (plus what they call the "answer"). Indeed, it cuts off that half sentence at a comma (comma splice any one?) and is subsequently out of context (unless you call the sentence and a half context).

3: This was done not only with out my consent but indeed with out my knowledge.

I'm writing this because I wish to know the thoughts of other Debian Users and because I wish to know if any one else is familiar with this site or has also been put upon it (possibly with out their knowledge.) I shall also try to send a copy of this E-Mail to the author of the site. Maybe I'm taking this too far, but I feel rather strongly about plagiarism and the like. Lastly, I wish to apologies to those among you feel that this is not the right forum in which to bring up such a case; I have put an off topic sing before the subject heading in the hopes of warding off any anger.

I thank you for your time and am eager to hear your thoughts.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.

The "honorable" thing for them to do would, of course, be to at least ask. The world being what it is you're lucky they didn't steal your identity :-) A noted game author (in the early Macromedia Director Lingo days) found his games on other sites, some not even copying them but patching into his site. The cost of prosecuting was so high his only recourse was theft detection crash code that was a lot of extra work.

Actually, what they included on their site I would not consider help if I needed such on the issue - rather amateurish wouldn't you say. I won't speculate on their motives ;') I've seen pieces of an article I wrote end up in a book by another party, but I wasn't old enough at the time for litigation to have replaced sex :-)))

The only great institutions of mankind that have not been corrupted by the hand of man have yet to be conceived. "God save us from those that would save us" -- Laura Cullens c1940

Live and learn :-)

Lee C