Re: nVidia and the Black Screen Problem... Continued

[issues with nvidia hardware and black screens (rather than X windows)
deleted]

I had similar problems.

I'm running a Shuttle NForce2 (SN41G2, IIRC) machine with the DVI card,
sid, x.org, 2.6.14 (maybe 2.6.15?), kde, the nvidia closed drivers and
udev.

The symptom was that when I rebooted, X would not come up. I'd get a
black screen. When I touched a key, the black screen would disappear
(so to speak) and the machine would show a character-based login
prompt. I could then login as root, reinstall the nvidia drivers,
restart kdm and I'd get a graphical login prompt. All would be fine
until the next reboot. I put up with this for a while (weeks, maybe
months) since the machine is up most of the time anyway.

Eventually, I tweaked udev with some rules that I found somewhere on
the web. If you want, I could dig through my notes when I get home to
see what I did. My problem was solved for a while. A few apt-get
updates later, after some x.org and udev chagnes, the problem
reappeared. That was about two weeks ago. I downloaded and installed
the latest binary drivers from nvidia.com and it's been fine since
then.

hth,
-- darin

darin_strait@yahoo.com
Database Development and Administration

"Change is hardest for those caught by surprise.", Thomas Friedman