Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:39:06 -0500
Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:

> Ok you Debian experts, I think I'm on to something with this printer
> sharing thing.  My last update is included at the end if you need to
> refresh your memory :-)
>
> Basically I'm wondering why in the CUPS interface on my Mac I can
> "see" the printer attached to my Linux box, but can't print to it.  I
> can use the printer on my Linux box where it is attached via usb.
>
> So, on my Mac I bring up network tools and find:
>
> I get results pinging debian1, 192.168.2.48 and 192.168.2.1 (the
> router), but not variations like debian1.belkinlan or
> 192.168.2.48:631 or belkinlan (the router).
>
> Also, if I do a port scan of debian1 or 192.168.2.48 (no other
> variations work) I get:
>
> Port Scanning host: 192.168.2.48
>     Open TCP Port:     22        ssh
>     Open TCP Port:     427        svrloc
>     Open TCP Port:     548        afpovertcp
> Port Scan has completed ...
>
> but no 631, even so as I mentioned my Mac does see the printer on the
> Linux box - just can't print to it.
> I'm thinking it should show up and cupsd is running on my Linux box.
> Could cupsd be bound to 127.0.0.1 alone on my Linux box?
> If so how can I find out and even better have my Mac see it so it
> shows up in the port scan?
>
> I think the "seeing" part is the broadcasting and separate from the
> "accessing" part.
>
> If I bring up Network Tools on my Linux box and do a port scan on
> 192.168.2.12 (Mac) I see port 631 open for ipp.

I think the big key here is not seeing port 631 open in an nmap scan on
the Linux server. You don't have a firewall running on this machine,
right? In my cupsd.conf file I simply have a line that says "Port 631"
under "Network Options". It looks like you can also define an ip or
hostname to listen to in that section, but I've never had reason to
limit it. I am able to see 631 open when I do an nmap scan of my
print server from another computer on the network.

Last night I enabled browsing in cups on my Linux print server and then
tried printing to the printer from my iBook (OS X 10.4.x). When I went
to http://localhost:631 on the iBook I noticed that it immediately saw
the printer and Firefox could print to it great. Easiest printer setup
I've ever had.

HTH,
Jacob