Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Chinook wrote:
Ok you Debian experts, I think I'm on to something with this printer sharing thing. My last update is included at the end if you need to refresh your memory :-)

Basically I'm wondering why in the CUPS interface on my Mac I can "see" the printer attached to my Linux box, but can't print to it. I can use the printer on my Linux box where it is attached via usb.

So, on my Mac I bring up network tools and find:

I get results pinging debian1, 192.168.2.48 and 192.168.2.1 (the router), but not variations like debian1.belkinlan or 192.168.2.48:631 or belkinlan (the router).

Also, if I do a port scan of debian1 or 192.168.2.48 (no other variations work) I get:

Port Scanning host: 192.168.2.48
   Open TCP Port:     22        ssh
   Open TCP Port:     427        svrloc
   Open TCP Port:     548        afpovertcp
Port Scan has completed ...

but no 631, even so as I mentioned my Mac does see the printer on the Linux box - just can't print to it. I'm thinking it should show up and cupsd is running on my Linux box. Could cupsd be bound to 127.0.0.1 alone on my Linux box? If so how can I find out and even better have my Mac see it so it shows up in the port scan? I think the "seeing" part is the broadcasting and separate from the "accessing" part. If I bring up Network Tools on my Linux box and do a port scan on 192.168.2.12 (Mac) I see port 631 open for ipp.
Thanks,
Lee C

============== last update =====================
P4 with Debian Etch (testing), kernel 2.6.12-1-686,
Gnome desktop and USB attached printer and scanner

PMac G5 running OS X Tiger (10.4.4)

The two are connected via a Belkin 4 port router.

I have netatalk and task-howl (howl-tools and mdnsresponder) installed on my Linux box and zeroconf file sharing working.

I have CUPS browsing on on the Linux box and I can see the Linux printer from the CUPS interface (even see it in app print dialog) on my Mac. Trying to print anything though first resulted in my Mac saying it can't can't resolve the hostname.

(I made changes to cupsd.conf network options (HostNameLookups, Browsing, BrowseProtocals, BrowseAddress and Allow) on the Linux side)

I added
send host-name "debian1";
to /etc/dhclient.conf on the Linux so it now posts its hostname to the router.

On my Mac I also added
192.168.2.48 debian1
to /etc/hosts. To make sure such got completely "into" the system I booted from another volume and cleared the caches on my working volume, repaired permissions, verified the volume (and even double checked it with DiskWarrior to make sure I didn't screw anything up). Then I rebooted to my working volume and rebooted the Linux box.

If I try to print to the shared printer, my Mac still says it can't resolve the host for printer EpsonSPR300@debian1

I've also tried creating a printer on my Mac that points to the Linux printer (tried http, ipp and lpr) and with Printer Sharing on or off, I get "host 192.168.2.48 is busy - will try again in 30 seconds." 8-P (I pointed at xxx://192.168.2.48:631/printers/EpsonSPR300)

I'm not sure where to turn from here - Maybe I'll start the netatalk "Mac Classic" daemons (atalkd and papd) on the Linux side and try to print to it with AppleTalk. Something I really don't want to do because I don't need the Classic daemons otherwise and from everything I've read I should be able to share the printer with CUPS alone.

I'm increasingly aware of one reason I retired :-)))

Did you also add the Mac's address to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. My daughter uses windoze so I use samba but I have

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.3
</Location>

in this file to allow her to print to my printer.

HTH

Wackojacko