Re: How to track what packages apt-get installs and removes?

Thanks Andrei.

>From now I am propably going to use 'aptitude upgrade' (I will have to learn how aptitude works) from cron.
When things go wrong I have a (mondo) image from my system so that I can restore my system quickly when that would be nessesarry.

Regards,

Ben

2006/1/23, Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro>:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:12:10 +0100
Sonixxfx <sonixxfx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone thanks for your help. I think aptitude is the most appropiate for
> me.
> What is the problem with updating from cron? I don't mind which packages are
> updated as long as they are up to date, as I am running a web server. Are
> there certain packages that can break my system pherhaps? Is it a bit better
> to run "apt-get upgrade" than "apt-get dist-upgrade" when I am updating
> automaticly anyhow?
[snip]

Don't remember what you are running (stable, testing, ...), but considering you run stable without changing your apt preferences a dist-upgrade will upgrade you to 'etch' when it will be release. While at first this seems like a good idea, such a major change should not be done unattended. Automatically upgrading with stable is not so dangerous as it would be with testing or unstable, as you get only security updates. But you never know... And the logging is a good idea.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)