Re: How to track what packages apt-get installs and removes?

Bill Marcum wrote:
On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 07:08:24PM +0100, Sonixxfx wrote:

Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can track what packages apt-get installs and
removes? I occasianally run apt-get dist-upgrade from cron and I would like
to know what has been installed and removed by apt-get afterwards.

Thanks for your help.

If you use aptitude, the syntax is almost exactly the same, and it logs its actions in /var/log/aptitude. Running upgrades from cron is risky, you might try the "-s" option, which tells what would be installed and removed without actually doing it.

I use cron-apt to download the updated files overnight, but not install them. In the morning, I run apt-get -u upgrade and I can see what will be installed before I let it actually make the changes.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com