Re: How to track what packages apt-get installs and removes?

Everyone thanks for your help. I think aptitude is the most appropiate for me.
What is the problem with updating from cron? I don't mind which packages are updated as long as they are up to date, as I am running a web server. Are there certain packages that can break my system pherhaps? Is it a bit better to run "apt-get upgrade" than "apt-get dist-upgrade" when I am updating automaticly anyhow?

Thanks

Ben

p.s. sorry for mailing directly to you Mark

2006/1/23, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>:
Bill Marcum wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 07:08:24PM +0100, Sonixxfx wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Can someone tell me how I can track what packages apt-get installs and
>>removes? I occasianally run apt-get dist-upgrade from cron and I would like
>>to know what has been installed and removed by apt-get afterwards.
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>

> If you use aptitude, the syntax is almost exactly the same, and it logs
> its actions in /var/log/aptitude.  Running upgrades from cron is risky,
> you might try the "-s" option, which tells what would be installed and
> removed without actually doing it.

I use cron-apt to download the updated files overnight, but not install
them.  In the morning, I run apt-get -u upgrade and I can see what will
be installed before I let it actually make the changes.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com