Re: how to get a clean xserver-xorg installation?

Chris wrote:
On Monday 23 January 2006 15:41, Scott wrote:
Christof Hurschler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble getting my xserver to run on an unstable machine which
> I just upgraded.  kdm runs, pauses on login and returns without entering
> any desktop (KDE or otherwise).

I'm glad it's not just me.   I've been having this problem for a few
months now, ever since upgrading to KDE 3.5.  I first experienced the
problem on Ubuntu Breezy, then on Ubuntu Dapper and now on Debian Sid.

I've since given up on using KDM and use GDM instead.

I will go and try that, although I'm not to optimistic that is where the problem lies.

I never really stated what the problem is (as I don't know).  :-)

I just stated that in my case, it cropped up when I upgraded to KDE 3.5.

It also happened after I installed a system from scratch with KDE 3.5

And I don't really want to use GDM.

There's always XDM. I use both KDE and GNOME so GDM seemed a logical choice.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com