Re: Problems after upgrade to udev - can't start X

Hello

Richard L. Halpert (<richardlhalpert@gmail.com>) wrote:

> I recently upgraded from sarge to etch, and I ran into a problem that
> seems to be related to udev.  During the upgrade, hotplug was removed
> and udev was installed.

Then you also read the message that told you to purge the hotplug
package. Did you do that?

> Afterwards, I received the following error  message when trying
> to log in (via gdm): Error creating the child process for this
> terminal.  If I revert back from udev to hotplug, the problems
> subside.  I really want to make the transition to udev so that I can
> use the latest version of gnome-volume-manager. It seems one or two
> people have experienced similar symptoms, but the fixes they used
> didn't help me at all.

Can you start X by running `startx` from the command line?

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976