Failed to load module e1000

On reboot of our Debian server the 2 x Intel 1000 GT nic are not detected and therefore do not load.
When I try modprobe e1000 I get a message stating it cannot find the file e1000.o, although the file is there and in the right location.  This appears to be some sort of interrupt conflict or something to that affect.  The problem is I keep getting error message stating that insmod is having a problem with IO or IRQ.  If I do a lspci I see no mention of the nic and same in the /var/log/message or /var/log/syslog.
How do I get the card detected so it can be loaded?

Thanks