Re: 100dpi vs. 75dpi fonts in X

Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:
> Sounds like the two drivers run X at different DPI. Kinfocenter will
> tell you the DPI X thinks it's using (formatted xdpyinfo output).

Indeed yes. The included "nv" driver uses 75 dpi, the non-free
"nvidia" driver uses 111 dpi.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
(==) NV(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

/var/log/Xorg.o.log.old:
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (111, 111); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X
config option

I found where dpi is defined, thanks for the Mozilla link:

/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

So it looks like neither of them is actually paying attention to the
configuration. A google search for "UseEdidDpi" ends up with
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8174/README/32bit_html/appendix-y.html

and from there, putting

Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"

in the display section along side the driver. This caused X to default
back to 75x75 dpi, which is fine, but I still wonder why the
definition in Xservers is being ignored. Hmmm...

Thanks for the help,

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001