Re: 100dpi vs. 75dpi fonts in X

Curt Howland wrote:

> Hi. I'm finally getting the nVidia driver compiled/installed. That's
> the easy part.

> While using the nv driver, everything is fine.

> The nVidia driver loads fine, detects and utilizes AGP, but when X is
> being displayed, all the fonts are HUGE! Ok, I overstate. They still
> say they're 13 point, but they are much larger and take up so much
> space that my desktop icons have to move further apart to fit the
> names.

> When I comment out "nvidia" and reenable "nv", everything goes back to
> usable sized fonts.

> Could it be that one is using "75dpi" and the other "100dpi"? Where do
> I determine which of these is being utilized? It doesn't seem to be a
> configuration option anywhere, and both are installed by default.

Sounds like the two drivers run X at different DPI. Kinfocenter will
tell you the DPI X thinks it's using (formatted xdpyinfo output). Double
check here to see what your browser(s) think:

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/PointsDemo.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi-screen-window.html

Several options exist to tweak DPI. One place to see some is:
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/