Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 02:49 -0500, Chinook wrote:
> Chinook wrote:
> The issue is something that I wondered about (and commented on) early
> on.  On my Mac I see the printer EpsonSPR300@debian1 but my Mac can't
> actually print to it because my Mac (via my router) can't resolve the
> hostname "debian1."
>

> When I first put up Debian on the P4, I noticed that where my Mac sets a
> hostname with its local address on my Belkin router, the Linux box
> leaves the hostname blank on my Belkin router.  My router does have the
> Linux box represented as an address (192.168.2.48), but no hostname.
>

> When the printer was attached to my Mac I could print to it from my
> Linux box it because the Mac hostname (pmacg5) could be resolved by the
> router, but now that the printer is attached to my Linux box (and
> working there) I can't print to it from my Mac because it can't resolve
> the Linux box hostname (debian1)  :-((((   I had a strong feeling this
> hostname issue would come back to bite me %-\
>

> So, whats to do?  Preferably I'd really appreciate some help in getting
> Debian to post its hostname on the router like my Mac does.  If that
> can't be done at the moment, then I would appreciate some help in
> getting my Mac to resolve the Linux box hostname to an address
> (192.168.2.48).

I am presuming that the Debian host is getting it's IP address via DHCP
from your router. If so, you might want to take a look
at /etc/dhclient.conf. Try adding the line:

send host-name "debian1";

and see if it makes any difference.

The myriad of dhcp options are explained in man dhcp-options and the
syntax of dhclient.conf is explained in man dhclient.conf (surprising I
know!).

Of course if you aren't using DHCP then you can safely ignore this
message.

Good luck,

--
Adam James <ad@heliosphan.co.uk>