Re: Debian Downgrade question

Jamie,

Thanks very much for this. It when mostly as planned. There were two problems that I hit.

 1. There was a problem downgrading passwd---the error message
    said there was a problem over writing /usr/sbin/add-shell.
    The error report indicated that passwd as also in debianutils
    that was also scheduled for installation.  I went to the cache
    directory can installed debianutils by hand with dpkg and
    restarted restarted the process with the command apt-get -f
    install.

 2. Then some time later apt-get started getting the error:

      dpkg: config error: unknown option log: Success

    I found a note on the web that recommended removing the
    /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg file.  I just commented out the log line
    in the file and re-issued the apt-get -f install command.

When the install of the packages in the cache finished I went back and re-issued the apt-get -u dist-upgrade. It finished cleanly this time. At this ping my attempt at shutdowning the system just hung. I ended up bringing up another console session, issuing multiple sync's and then punching the reset button. The system came up cleanly.

The only question that I have at this point is should I remove the preferences from /etc/apt? I don't really understand what I did here. Can you point me to a document that describes what you suggested?

Thanks again,

Bill