Debian Downgrade question

Hello,

On one of the debian systems I manage I installed sarge before it was moved to stable by referening testing in my sources.list. I completely forgot about this and recently issued an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade. The system continues to work, but has trouble booting now. I would like to revert to the stable tree at this point. What will happen if I just modify the sources.list and issue an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade at this point? Is apt-get smart enough to go back like list?

Bill

P.S. The boot problem is that at every boot the system new requires fsck be run on /dev/shm.