Re: KDE3.5

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:19:57 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Konstruct is very ticklish. A good way to run it is make -k ....
> This will make everything it CAN make. You may catch the error messages it
> cannot.

I didn't know about the make -k bit. I may try it once (or twice?) more
as kde gets closer to 4.0 - assuming it does.

I did have issues with koffice not building (some portions - krita
being one of them) and some of the multimedia packages, such as
kaffiene.

But if make -k would be able to continue from a failure and try with
another app that's next on the list of things to build, that would be
easier than cd'ing into a bunch of directories and finding out what
will build and what will not.

> The problem with alioth is there is no upgrade path. You specify the version
> in your /etc/apt/sources.list. From Sid, 3.5.1 will come in as it is posted.

True enough. But as 3.5.x matures, the packages should enter testing
and then I can dispense with alioth, at least until the next Big
Upgrade. That's how I handled 3.4.x. (mepis -> sarge originally).

> Cost nothing to wait and see. Your alioth works mostly. My konstruct is 99%.

Right. It's working mostly. The only major issues are printing from
konqueror or other K apps doesn't seem to work - workaround is to print
to a pdf and then send the pdf to the printer. It is a hassle, but it
works. But then somethings like kspread won't let me select landscape
mode or other properties of the printer, so I suspect a kprinter issue.
Also noticed that some https: would time out or otherwise not work in
konqueror, that work in mozilla (banking & investment sites etc.)

Another gotcha with alioth is that it's not "officially" debian, so you
can't really file a bug report, I suppose.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.