Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Trey Sizemore wrote:
On Sat Jan 21, 2006 01:36AM, Chinook wrote:
P4 with Debian Etch (testing), kernel 2.6.12-1-686,
Gnome desktop and USB attached printer and scanner

PMac G5 running OS X Tiger (10.4.4)

I've got my AppleTalk/zeroconf LAN setup working for file sharing - with netatalk and task-howl on the Linux box. When I had my printer connected to my Mac I could print to it from the Linux box with just CUPS whether the Mac AppleTalk connection with the Linux box was active or not. Then I decided I wanted more desk space around my Mac and moved the printer to my Linux box. Now I can print from my Linux box, but I can't seem to figure out how to print to it from my Mac :-P For once I'm finding the printer setup on my Mac the more difficult :-( I've tried it outside the AppleTalk connection by simply supplying an address of 192.168.2.69:631 and though the printer definition is accepted, actual printing says the printer is busy. I've also tried it with the AppleTalk connection up, again supplying the same address, with the same results. I've also tried variations of addresses without success. I'm sure I'm tripping over the obvious but what??? Is there a way to specify the Linux printer from my Mac outside AppleTalk? Or if I need to through AppleTalk, do I need to further edit my Linux netatalk setup - maybe the papd.conf??? If I do need to (somehow) use the Linux printer with AppleTalk, there is another lesser question. How do I ensure that the howl tools (mDNSResponder for advertising) start at login like afpd and atalkd. Following is the mDNSBrowse info if it's any help.

I'm keeping notes on the detail steps in order to share the setup with anyone else they might help, so if you want to see the detail steps I've taken so far I can send along the text file or put it up on my dotMac account for download. Thanks,
Lee C

<snip>

This worked for me when all else failed:

For troubleshooting, try printing using the advanced method "IPP
printing via http."

In Printer Setup, hold down the option key while clicking More
Printers. Select Advanced, then IPP using http. Use this URI:
http://[IP_address_of_server]:631/printers/[queue_name_on_server]

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply Trey,

I tried what you suggested and more variations of such without success :-(

My Mac always tells me that "host 192.168.2.69 is busy - will try again in 30 seconds" and I've waited up to 30 Minutes.

I guess it's back to the google shuffle. I've been looking at reversing the steps I passed on to Paul (earlier in thread) but haven't actually tried such yet.

Thanks again,
Lee C