Re: Burning CDs from ISO image - possible?

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 01:19:21PM +0600, salahuddin pasha wrote:
> > Another data point - I found at least in my experience that growisofs
> > is much simpler to use (and even works) compared to trying to get
> > cdrecord to write to dvd media. At least that is what I experienced
> > when I brought my (then) brand new dual-mode writer home and plugged it
> > in.

There is a mode of operation for growisofs that write a pre-existing iso
file to a dvd. You can use this in place of cdrecord for dvd. See the
growisofs man page.

> > Mastering a dvd from data files also is possible - but dependent on
> > mkisofs - still that irksome issue in trying to make an image from
> > (for instance) /home, with a ton of directories and files to look at.

Actually growisofs *uses* mkisofs to do its data formatting. You do not
escape mkisofs by using growisofs. You merely hide some of its power and
flexibility (in return for very considerable convenience).

Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net