Re: Sarge sec update: sudo_1.6.8p7-1.3_i386.deb probs

Simo Kauppi wrote:
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 06:54:21AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Simo Kauppi wrote:
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:03:26PM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 03:58:30PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:02:33AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,
I just did a security upgrade with Sarge and got installed sudo_1.6.8p7-1.3_i386.deb. But when I use sudo to get to synaptic I get:

(synaptic:25937): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Thanks! And a good guess. But what?

And this is in the sudoers manpage:

Lists that can be used in a boolean context:

env_check
Environment variables to be removed from the user's environment if the variable's value contains %
   or /
characters. This can be used to guard against printf-style format vulnerabilities in poorly-written programs. The argument may be a double-quoted, space-separated list or a single value without double-quotes. The list can be replaced, added to, deleted from, or disabled by using the =
   , +=
   , -=
   , and !
operators respectively. The default list of environment variables to check is printed when sudo is run by root with the -V option.

Sounds like Greek to me. Can anybody tell me what in fact one should specify in sudoers?

Thanks!

In other words, env_check is a list of variables, whose value is
checked, and if they contain a '%' or a '/', they are blocked. So you
need to find out which variable is preventing the use, and put
env_check -= VARIABLE
into the /etc/sudoers, to disable its checking.

One good guess would be HOME.

The checking should be totally disabled if you put
env_check =
Gets:
sudoers file: syntax error, line 12 <<<
sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 12

where I put:

env_check =

into the /etc/sudoers file (i am guessing here), but I wouldn't
recommend it, as it is a security feature.

Simo
Thanks Simo!

Needless to say I am a little surprised that this comes about in Stable Sarge without further explanations.

I filed a bug (349085) which I later retracted and apologized for.

Stick with sudo_1.6.8p7-1.2_i386.deb folks!

Hi,

Don't give up just yet :)

I just upgraded my sudo and re-read the security announcement and the
manual page.

It seems I interpreted it a little bit wrong...

Check if you have a line
Defaults env_reset
or
Defaults = env_reset

No.

in your /etc/sudoers. If it is, comment it out or change it to
Defaults !env_reset

makes no diff.

Defaults:ALL  !env_reset
makes no diff.

and try again...

In unstable/etch it is left for the admin to add that line into the
/etc/sudoers. env_reset is actually the parameter, which limits the
environment variables. env_check is then used to add the desired
variables.

And the syntax should be
Defaults env_check += "VARIABLE1 VARIABLE2"

BTW: it is always a good idea to edit the sudoers file with `visudo`,
which also makes the sanity check.

True.

Simo

Thanks Simo.