Re: Sarge sec update: sudo_1.6.8p7-1.3_i386.deb probs

gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:02:33AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I just did a security upgrade with Sarge and got installed sudo_1.6.8p7-1.3_i386.deb. But when I use sudo to get to synaptic I get:

(synaptic:25937): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

When I then reinstalled the previous version:

sudo_1.6.8p7-1.2_i386.deb

The problem goes away.

This paragraph was in the security announcement posted to
debian-security-announce list:

------------ begin excerpt -----------
This update alters the former behaviour of sudo and limits the number
of supported environment variables to LC_*, LANG, LANGUAGE and TERM.
Additional variables are only passed through when set as env_check in
/etc/sudoers, which might be required for some scripts to continue to
work.
------------- end excerpt ------------

Maybe you need to do something with the DISPLAY variable in /etc/sudoers. This is just a guess, however.

Thanks! And a good guess. But what?

Right now sudoers contains:
Cmnd_Alias DD = /usr/sbin/synaptic

And this is in the sudoers manpage:

Lists that can be used in a boolean context:

env_check
Environment variables to be removed from the user's environment if the variable's value contains %
    or /
characters. This can be used to guard against printf-style format vulnerabilities in poorly-written programs. The argument may be a double-quoted, space-separated list or a single value without double-quotes. The list can be replaced, added to, deleted from, or disabled by using the =
    , +=
    , -=
    , and !
operators respectively. The default list of environment variables to check is printed when sudo is run by root with the -V option.

Sounds like Greek to me. Can anybody tell me what in fact one should specify in sudoers?

Thanks!