Re: IMAP Server Requirement

Clive Menzies wrote:

We had the same requirement, pulling in via pop3 and accessing via IMAP.
We used dovecot.  I made some notes on the setup here:
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/MailServer.html

Regards

Clive

I appreciate this and all the other great responses to my request. You are all most helpful. I followed these steps and got all the software installed and I think configured per your instructions, correcting a couple of probable transcription mistakes.

I ran fetchmail interactively and it grabbed 387 messages from the test account I'm using. I then configured my email client to access the IMAP account from Dovecot which pulled down 600 or so messages that the user account already had, but not the 387 test messages.

I set fetchmail to run as a daemon every 2 minutes and sent a test message to the account. Almost immediately I started to get a string of error messages from the main SMTP server in both boxes;

"This message is looping: it already has my Delivered-To line. (#5.4.6)"

It seems that basically the message was ping-ponging backwards and forwards between the two boxes, with neither taking responsibility for it.

I know I must be missing something obvious, its just this email thing is too confusing sometimes! Does anyone have any immediate suggestion as to what the issue might be before I give up and try another route?

Ropetin.