Re: Re: su/sudo cannot X

John Hasler wrote

X and X applications are exceedingly complex, unaudited, and likely to be
chock full of buffer overruns, format string vulnerabilities, and other

I guess a checking on CERT's vulnerability list will reveal if this is true, X vs
non-X.

nasties.  Consider the segfaults and memory leaks in Firefox, for example.

It only makes sense that you should want to run as little code as possible
as root.  X drags in cubic miles of it.

Yeah, that's a general rule, but I am not sure if it is legit to draw the line on whether it is X or not. I am actually not trying to run tons of X applications as root, just some of the admin tools insist
on connecting to X, like my printer driver from samsung. Making sudo/su
X painful doesn't mean I will give up running them. I wondering how much
difference it makes on security by making sudo/su incapable of connecting
to X by default. This is different than logging into X as root.

Lei