rpc.statd paranoia

Hi All,

This is my first time posting to the list as I am a beginning my journey into the realm of Linux.

One of the first things I'd like to establish is the security of my system.

nmap revealed the following:

779/tcp  open  unknown
789/tcp  open  unknown

and I think I tracked it down correctly to rpc.statd and it has something to do with NFS, which I have no intention of using right now.

Does anybody know the correct procedure for eliminating this daemon from booting? Should I be using update-rc.d or do I have to manually edit config files?

Bart