gtk-gnutella

Hi,

If you are using gtk-gnutella in Debian stable you may be aware that the
program is no longer functional.  Worse you'll be actively performing an
active on other participants on the network.

While I won't point out the futility of shipping stable but non-functional
software, I'll instead try to explain how you can obtain a version that
*is* functional.

I was hoping to be able to point most Debian users to prebuilt binaries,
but there exists no facility within Debian that allows for updates to a
package in stable in order to keep it functional.

Instead, please follow these instructions:

mkdir ~/gtk-gnutella
cd ~/gtk-gnutella
(as root): apt-get install build-essential
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella_0.96b.orig.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella_0.96b-1.diff.gz
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella_0.96b-1.dsc
dpkg-source gtk-gnutella_0.96b-1.dsc
cd gtk-gnutella-0.96b
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

The last step may fail and complain about a number of other packages you
need to install, if so, '(as root) apt-get install <packages>' and then
try again.

At the end you should have a viable gtk-gnutella servent which no longer
damages the network and also provides you with increased functionality
(IPv6 access) and security (TLS).

Please feel free to send me email if you have any difficulties.

Regards,
Anand

PS: This will also work for Ubuntu and Mephis users who have contacted
me privately.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are