Re: linux 2.6.15 and overheating

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 10:40, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> After I upgraded the linux kernel to a custom compiled 2.6.15, I keep
> getting shutdown because of overheating (one of the last message is
> something about the temperature hitting 93 C or something).  This never
> happened to me when I run 2.6.14 or earlier.
>
> Is it because 2.6.15 has some more functionality, and it gives me
> warning, or is it because there is a bug in 2.6.15? How do I find out?

No...more "functionality" is not a factor of heat.  Making the CPU work harder
would be, but I haven't noticed similar heat increases.  On the contrary, my
laptop run inferno hot in Windows even while idle but usually feels close to
the same temperature as it does when powered down unless I'm really doing
something CPU intensive under Linux.

> Also, since this is a laptop, it's not like I can exchange the fan, so I
> just wondering if the machine is about to die of exhaustion.

Clean out the exhaust port on that, and replace the fan if it never comes on.
If it is out of warranty, it's a do-it-yourself or very-expensive job.  If
you do it yourself, google and try to find teardown walkthroughs and take
notes and/or digital photos as you go along so you have something really good
to go back on when you back up (or if you discover how to do something new,
now you can document it!).  You can commonly find spare parts for laptops
online at prices of varying degrees of fairness (sometimes very cheap,
sometimes you'd wonder if they'd roe-sham-boe you for the part instead).

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca