Re: Loadable kernel modules not unloadable

Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:08:13AM -0800, hillbilly wrote:
> > Well, that works brilliantly!
> > I created /etc/modprobe.conf/local and added to it the following
> > lines...
> >
> > install parport /bin/true
> > install parport_pc /bin/true
> > install lp /bin/true
>
> Weird, why the reverse logic?
>
> > and lo and behold, the drivers did not load.
>
> --
> Chris.
> ======
> Reproduction if desired may be handled locally. -- rfc3

What do mean by "reverse logic"?

I suspect that the 2nd and 3rd lines (for fake-installing parport_pc
and lp) are not necessary as they completely depend on parport being
present but any attempt to load them just generates lots of undefined
symbol errors when parport is missing.  However, I also suspect that
the module loading routines, having established the lack of parport
will skip the dependent modules.  Nevertheless, I have not bothered to
find out (been enough mucking about with this whole issue as far as I
am concerned) so I just play it safe and fake-install all three.