Re: Power down

Noah Dain wrote:
My computer says "power down" when I shut it down. I just upgraded from
kernel 2.4 to 2.6 in Debian Sarge, and of course I want it to shutdown
automatically. What should I do to fix this?

I had a bunch of crappy dells (is there any other kind?) that did this.

I disabled acpi support via the kernel param: acpi=off
I then added "apm" to /etc/modules so apm is loaded on every boot, and
installed/started apmd (although apmd may not be necessary).

be sure to add "acpi=off" to /boot/grub/menu.lst like:

  ## ## Start Default Options ##
  ## A FEW LINES OF COMMENTS IN HERE ...
  # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro acpi=off

then run (as root): update-grub
then, reboot.

I'm sure there's a way to get acpi to work, but apm has always "just
worked" for me.

On my Thinkpad R51 upgrading to a newer kernel (I now run a custom 2.6.12) did the trick (now I can use acpi).

Johannes