Re: Loadable kernel modules not unloadable

hillbilly a écrit :

>Can ANYONE help?
>I am trying to prevent parport (and parport_pc, lp) from loading at
>bootup on Deb Sarge with no success short of brute force (hiding the
>actual module from the OS) which results in ugly messages about
>undefined symbols and is at best potentially dangerous (for other
>modules with more interdependence, anyway).  I have tried blacklisting
>in hotplug, skip(ping) in discover, "alias parport off" in
>modprobe.d/(various files???), rebuilding initrd.img without the
>parpoort modules present, all methods at the same time, etc. and
>NOTHING WORKS PROPERLY!  Either the modules load or lots of ugly
>messages on boot up.  Rhetorical question:  what is the point in a
>loadable module if you still need to rebuild the kernel (or all the
>modules, at least) with the unwanted module excluded to prevent the
>module from loading?
>
>Is there a correct, consistent, centralised way of stopping a module
>from loading?

Hi,

Here is the solution i use to properly prevent a module from loading. I
create a file /etc/modprobe.conf/local and in this file, i write a line
for every module i don't want:

install module_name /bin/true

When the kernel install the module, this line tell the kernel what to do
to install it (here nothing, it simply call /bin/true).

cu.