Re: PCMCIA configuration

On 15 Jan 2006, Tom Allison wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
[snip]

> >This may not be relevant,  but I've had problems with my Cisco Aironet
> >340 which sound similar. I eventually tracked them to hotplug. If you
> >have upgraded this recently you could try going back to the version in
> >Stable.
> >
> >Anthony
> >

> Similarly, I reset my apt_preferences from unstable to testing.
> purged everything related to pcmcia and wireless.
> reinstalled pcmcia-cs and wireless tools.
> Now it works.
>
> kernel 2.6.15.
>
> I'm thinking there might be a big fat hairy bug when whatever is in
> unstable gets into testing....  Unfortunately my installation, until
> today, was rather spread out between testing and unstable.  That's been
> remedied as I can no longer afford this to be an unstable branch.  I
> need it to work.
> I would downgrade to stable if I could, but I have a few other packages
> that I need in testing, so this is as far as I dare go.

I'm following unstable myself (and it doesn't seem to be noticeably more
hazardous than following testing, which I used to do) and mostly things
don't break too badly. However the hotplug gotcha was very difficult to
spot and to disentangle from wireless-tools etc.

I submitted a bug report on hotplug, naturally, but nothing has come
back beyond the formal acknowledgement.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian