Re: PCMCIA configuration

Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 15 Jan 2006, Richard Lyons wrote:

On Sunday, 15 January 2006 at 10:22:59 -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

Grr...
I've having problems with my Orinoco gold pcmcia card that used to work.
I'll assume some kind of upgrade problem maybe but whatever it is,
I'm no longer able to sort it out myself.

From the syslog, it appears that the encryption is no longer valid.  This
is confusing because I haven't changed anything (that I know of) for
well over a year.  I've checked the access point and it's working and
such...

help?

Between
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
/etc/network/ifconfig

I'm not getting anything to work.  the card doesn't appear to load at
all or only partially.

I have a very similar problem with an Orinoco PCMCIA card.  There were
a number of suggestions here a couple of weeks ago,  and on
debian-laptop just afterwards, but no solution yet.  One thing I haven't
yet tried is getting the latest driver.

Does your card connect if you temporarily turn off encryption at the
access point?  Mine does (by manual 'ifup eth0').  If it does we may
have the same complaint...

--
richard

This may not be relevant,  but I've had problems with my Cisco Aironet
340 which sound similar. I eventually tracked them to hotplug. If you
have upgraded this recently you could try going back to the version in
Stable.

Anthony

Similarly, I reset my apt_preferences from unstable to testing.
purged everything related to pcmcia and wireless.
reinstalled pcmcia-cs and wireless tools.
Now it works.

kernel 2.6.15.

I'm thinking there might be a big fat hairy bug when whatever is in unstable gets into testing.... Unfortunately my installation, until today, was rather spread out between testing and unstable. That's been remedied as I can no longer afford this to be an unstable branch. I need it to work. I would downgrade to stable if I could, but I have a few other packages that I need in testing, so this is as far as I dare go.