GLIB woes with Debian Etch :-(

Hi there all

Just installed Debian ETCH and am having problems compiling ANYTHING that requires GLib support.

First, I tried compiling GLib and make+checkinstall it on my own without any problems.  The newest version; 2.8.5.  However, after I do that, I get this problem:

(from the ./configure of the newest version of IRSSI, the first program requiring GLib I tried to compile)

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.8.5, but GLIB (2.8.4)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
*** trying without -lgmodule
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.8.5, but GLIB (2.8.4)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
*** trying without -lgmodule
checking for glib-config... (cached) no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.

So IRSSI fails, saying that supposedly its finding 2.8.4 and tells me to uninstall the old version first (which I have NO clue how to do), and so does things like the new GTK and its counter-parts (which I need so I can use things like the newest GAIM Beta and what not)  They all fail with the exact same errors, saying 2.8.4 was found alongside 2.8.5, and to get rid of one first.  So, I figure just scrap the 2.8.5 version since 2.8.4 should be more than suitable since its only looking for GLib versions > 2.5.7, so I do a dpkg -r glib-2.8.5 (my custom installed newer version) and try to compile again.  This time though, I get THIS error:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.5.7... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is installed
*** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the file
*** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

and NO other GLib programs will compile.  They *ALL* say they cannot find GLib anywhere on my system.  I am going friggin crazy here trying to figure out why these things wont work.  According to aptitude I have the libglib stuff installed (unless I'm missing packages I don't know the names of) and there is no reason that I should be having so much trouble with scripts finding my GLib installation.   I also know lots of you will say "Why not just get the packages" but I want to use newer versions of some programs, and even basic programs like IRSSI won't compile which means something is obviously wrong.

Can someone PLEASE give me some advice here, and tell me which packages exactly need to be installed so I can compile stuff that needs GLib.  It's a fairly major system component and I am a novice Linux user at best who doesn't have a clue where to begin.

Thanks in advance

Angrily tearing his hair out,
-Ryan