Re: LILO with root-raid nightmare - please help.

hi ya drbob

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, drbob wrote:

> I've replaced a failed disk in my raid 1 setup. I replaced the disk (hda
> on-board ide),

what exaactly did you type BEFORE you removed the bad disk ??

raidhotadd, raidhotremove, etc, etc.. is required ( aka good idea )

> So I went into the bios and set it to boot off the
> promise card first.

some bios cannot boot off of additional ide cards ( pci cards )
and mixing with onboard ide might be confusing the system

> LILO version 22.6.1

too old ...

you should be using lilo-22.7.1 for raid stuff if you want a working
bootable raid system

> lba32
> boot=/dev/md1
> raid-extra-boot=/dev/hda,/dev/hde

why do you use "extra-boot" ??
	- try commenting that line out

> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24.raidserver1
>         label=RAID
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/md3

this implies /dev/md1 is your /boot ??
and that your rootfs ( /bin, /etc, /sbin .. ) is in /dev/md3 ??

for more debugging ...
	what is the contents of /etc/fstab
	what is the contents of /etc/mdadm.conf
	what is the output of "cat /proc/mdstat"

> Is it safe to just put the disk with a valid mbr (hde) onto the on-board
> controller?

yes and no .. depends on the mb and bios and your lilo config options

c ya
alvin