Re: Is there a GPL substitute for RealPlayer?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:25:14 -0800
"David E. Fox" <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com> wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:11:31 -0800
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Actually, I just tried xine. So far, it has handled all file formats that I have thrown at it, including Real Media live streaming audio and

I miss xine. :(

AFAIK xine has always consisted of xine-lib and xine-ui. The lib is the one that does all the job, while ui is just a front-end. gxine is just another front-end. xine-ui is apt-get-able ... (i like it more)

Actually, it does seem to be missing from testing. As I said, I like xine. It seems to do everything that I need it to do. (Playing DVDs would be nice, but I guess that is not likely to happen anytime soon here in the U.S.) The xine-ui package shows up in Sarge and Sid, right now, but not Etch. Maybe it is just a question of waiting until everything trickles down from Sid. Me? I'll just stick with Sarge, where things "just work", mostly.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com